When you first hear baked pineapple, you might think dessert, but it’s really a perfect side. Yes this is the perfect baked pineapple and cheese casserole for you to try.
Cheese?? Really, cheddar cheese with pineapple? Well, ok – I’ll give it a try. And so glad I did.
This is a dish I make it quite often, but it’s always on a holiday table, especially Easter and Thanksgiving. I’m not sure where I first got the recipe or tried it, but knew it was something I wanted in my recipe file.
Even those who aren’t pineapple fans might love this – like my husband.
It is now a tradition on Thanksgiving, plus a few other times a year. Think about the pineapple is a great accompaniment with ham anytime you serve it.
Another advantage of this recipe is you can make it ahead of time then assemble it right before baking. Mix all of the wet ingredients together and refrigerate. Crush your Ritz Crackers and add the juice and melted butter right before baking.
There’s just a few easy steps to this.
Mix your flour and sugar together
Slowly add in the cheese making sure it is all well coated with flour and sugar mixture
Add drained pineapple
Stir until all ingredients are well combined
Pour this mixture into sprayed casserole dish
In a separate mixing bowl, mix together Ritz Cracker crumbs, melted butter, and 5 Tablespoons of the reserved pineapple juice
Spread this over pineapple mixture
Who wants a bite now?
I hope you add this to your recipe file.
Another great side dish is this Piggy Mac and Cheese. Or if you add the BBQ, it’s a main dish.
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups grated sharp cheddar
- 2 20-ounce cans pineapple tidbits, drained, (keeping the juice)
- 1 cup Ritz Cracker crumbs, crushed
- 8 tablespoons 1 stick butter, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Using additional butter or non stick spray, coat a medium-size casserole dish
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the sugar and flour
- Slowly add in the cheese making sure it is all well coated with flour and sugar mixture
- Add drained pineapple
- Stir until all ingredients are well combined
- Pour this mixture into sprayed casserole dish
- In a separate mixing bowl, mix together Ritz Cracker crumbs, melted butter, and 5 Tablespoons of the reserved pineapple juice
- Spread this over pineapple mixture
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until golden brown
The type of pineapple you use is to your taste.
I prefer the tidbits since I like the texture, but you can also use crushed or chunks.
To make ahead:
Prepare pineapple mixture and store in refrigerator the day before
Right before baking, make your cracker crumb mixture
Top your pineapple mixture with cracker crumb mixture
Baking may take an additional 5 minutes
Let me know how you like it.
Do you follow me on Pinterest – pin it for later.