Billed as a “soft launch” to help train associates from August 24 through August 31, the eatery will be quietly slinging biscuits and barbecue as it gears up for its public grand opening on Tuesday, September 1. With three locations in Middle Tennessee, the Chattanooga restaurant marks Puckett’s first expansion to a new market. For a step back in time, visit the location in Leiper’s Fork.“Puckett’s first priority is putting roots in the community, and that community is an important factor at each location. We’ve already seen Chattanooga’s response to that, and hope to continue to help drive the energy downtown,” said Max Stephenson, general manager of Puckett’s Chattanooga. “We think locals will enjoy our emphasis on an intimate and laid-back atmosphere that makes you feel like you’re in your own home when eating a meal or listening to the music.”
Puckett’s menus boasts of its Tennessee heritage, with “their own special spin” on breakfast, lunch and dinner items. Morning favorites include sweet potato pancakes topped with pulled pork and a downhome take on the eggs Benedict; lunch highlights range from a fried green tomato B.L.T. to heavy helpings of meat-and-three classics; and popular dinner dishes include grits topped with blackened sautéed shrimp, Cajun fried chicken over a bed of hot waffles or grilled salmon brushed with a moonshine glaze.
Now to the recipe, it’s always important to read through a new recipe before beginning to ensure you hall all the ingredients and correct tools and pans. Nothing worse than starting something then realizing you are missing something.
- Piggy Mac Ingredients
- 1 Iron Skillet or Casserole Dish
- 6 oz Prepared Pulled Pork BBQ
- 1 oz Puckett’s Spicy BBQ Sauce
- 8 oz Macaroni & Cheese Prepared, see recipe
- 1/8 Cup Shredded Gouda Cheese
- 2 Tbl Panko or Italian Bread Crumbs
- Green Onion for garnish
- Piggy Mac ‘n’ Cheese Ingredients, will make more than you need
- 1 # Elbow Noodles
- 1 # American Cheese, shredded
- 3 Cup Whole Milk
- 4 Tbl Butter
- ¾ Tbl Salt
- ½ Tbl White Pepper
- ¼ Tbl Cajun Spice
- ¼ Tbl Granulated Garlic
- ¼ Cup Asiago
- ¼ Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Mac ‘n’ Cheese Directions
- Cook elbow noodles to directions and drain.
- In a saucepan, bring your milk to a simmer.
- Add the butter to the milk and then slowly add the American cheese, whisking as you add it to allow to melt.
- Once the cheese is melted, add your dry spices and whisk.
- You can now pour the mixture over the drained, prepared noodles.
- Fold in the Asiago cheese and shredded Cheddar cheese at this time.
- Piggy Mac Directions
- Place the prepared pulled pork into a small iron skillet or casserole dish.
- Drizzle Puckett’s BBQ sauce over the pulled pork.
- Place the prepared mac ‘n’ cheese on top of the pulled pork.
- Sprinkle the shredded Gouda cheese on top of the mac ‘n’ cheese.
- Cover with bread crumb mixture.
- Place in a 350 degree oven for 5-7 minutes until the top is brown and the macaroni is bubbly. Remove from oven, garnish with green onion and serve.
Puckett's uses an 18-hour process with their BBQ, which is smoked slow 'n' low over cherrywood and finished in sous vide tradition. If smoking your own BBQ intimidates you, they'll smoke a butt for you -- or you can pick up their pulled pork BBQ from the restaurant.