Making the ultimate Skillet Nachos will have you craving them throughout the entire year! So good and simple you will think it’s Cinco de Mayo everyday!
Wow, if you love Nachos, you’ll absolutely fall in love with these ultimate skillet nachos! They’re bursting with flavor, starting with crunchy chips, gooey cheese, spicy beans, chicken, and sauce on top then all of your favorite toppings on the side. This is definitely one for the favorite recipes, especially for a crowd or maybe a movie night in.
Perfect for tailgating or hanging out with friends, this is one dish that everyone in your party will enjoy!
- Tortilla chips - 1 to 2 bags - A good layer is needed
- 3 cups shredded cheese
- 1 small can of Enchilada Sauce - Mild -, I used Old El Paso
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- Olive oil
- Southwest Seasoning - see the recipe in links
- 1 can beans - black beans and pinto beans are my favorites
- 1 small onion
- Bunch green onions
- 10 " - 12" cast iron skillet
- SUGGESTED Toppings
- sour cream
- chopped onions
- chopped green onions
- chopped tomatoes
- various cheese
- hot sauce
Directions for chicken
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, sliced thin, about 1/4"
- 2 Tablespoon of Olive oil
- 2 Tablespoon Southwest Seasoning
- Preheat olive oil in medium skillet.
- Saute chicken until done, aproximately 7 - 10 minutes.
- Stir every few minutes making sure no pink is seen
- Sprinkle Southwest Seasoning over chicken.
- Stir til all is well coated.
- If it appears dry, drizzle on a teaspoon of olive oil so seasoning sticks to chicken
- Cook about 5 minutes
- Remove from heat
- Cover skillet and set aside.
Directions for beans
- 1 can black beans (14 - 16 ounces) - drained and rinsed
- 1 Tablespoon Southwest Seasoning
- 2 T Olive oil
- 1/2 cup of chopped onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup salsa - I used mild
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil, just until they are soft.
- Do not brown.
- Add drained beans and seasoning.
- Stir until all is well coated.
- Stir in salsa
- Cook until just heated. About 5 minutes.
- Set aside.
Directions to assemble the nachos
- Preheat oven to 350
- Spray the bottom of the iron skillet with cooking spray.
- Using half of your ingredients at a time
- Place a double layer of Tortilla chips in the skillet
- Add chicken
- Add bean mixture
- Sprinkle cheese over beans
- Repeat these layers, ending with cheese
- Bake this mixture for 10 - 15 minutes, until cheese is melted
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack 10 minutes before serving
- Drizzle Enchilada sauce over the top of the melted cheese
- Top with chopped green onions
- Have an assortment of toppings to be served on the side.
Bean mixture is great as a dip by itself
Break larger chips in smaller pieces
Use 2 cans beans for a heavier bean taste
Use your favorite cheese or mixture such as cheddar and monterey jack
You can find bags of Fiesta or Mexican cheese
Homemade Salsa or Pico de Gallo is always good too
Did you know you can shred chicken with your mixer?
If you freeze your chicken about 15 - 20 minutes, it will slice easier.
You could also shred chicken.
This would also be a great use for leftover or a rotisserie chicken.
These could very easily be made vegetarian.
Using Ranch Beans will make it a bit spicier
Mix it up with colored chips
Lodge Cast Iron Skillets are the best. Plus they are locally made to the Chattanooga area.
Individual servings made in these Lodge Cast Iron Mini Skillets would be cute.
Here’s my favorite Southwest Seasoning Recipe. Not only great for these Skillet Nachos but any of your Tex Mex type recipes such as Fajitas.
Don’t you need a Margarita with these? Try this Creamy Margarita for something different
Save this to Pinterest for later
Here’s a Taco Bar Corn Salad I just added which would go great with this.
Do you want a couple more Nacho ideas?