- 1 egg
- ½ C milk - whole or 2% is best
- ¼ C vegetable or corn oil
- 1 ½ C all purpose flour
- ½ C sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- Pre-heat oven to 400.
- Line 12 muffin tins with paper baking cups
- In medium mixing bowl, beat egg
- Stir in milk and oil.
- In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients.
- Stir this dry mixture into the egg mixture, just until moistened.
- Do not over mix.
- Batter should be lumpy.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full.
- Bake 20 – 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from muffin tin immediately to cool.
- For a little added sweetness, sprinkle ¼ teaspoon of sugar over each before baking.
- Make ahead the night before
- Mix the wet ingredients together and refrigerate.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a separate bowl and cover.
- Proceed with recipe as above.
Blueberry: Fold in 1 cup fresh blueberries or ¾ cup frozen blueberries, which have been thawed and drained.
Cranberry-Orange: Fold in 1 T grated orange peel and 1 cup cranberries, which have been cut in half.
Jelly Filled: Fill muffin cup ½ full then drop 1 teaspoon of your favorite jelly in the center, then add enough batter to fill 2/3 full.
Apple: Stir in 1 cup grated apple into wet ingredients and ½ tsp cinnamon into flour mixture.
Nut Crunch Topping: Great on apple or plain. Mix 1/3 cup packed brown sugar, 1/3 cup chopped nuts and ½ teaspoon cinnamon. These will need to bake approximately 5 minutes longer than plain muffins.
A few more breakfast or brunch ideas.